Today I am looking at ways to use celeriac.
It is not the prettiest of vegetables to look at, but has lots of uses. It has the advantage of being lower in carb than potatoes so is ideal served as a mash,( boil as you would potatoes, drain and add 1 teaspoon of mustard, a knob of butter & a handful of grated Parmesan, a good pinch of nutmeg & season) Use to top pies or as a vegetable side dish. If you want it to be vegan( omit the Parmesan & butter, add coconut milk & a glug of olive oil)
It is also excellent roasted or as in the picture cut into chips & baked in the oven smeared with a little rapeseed oil and smoked paprika. I came across this vegan mayo ( in pic) in Lidi. It is very good and has thankfully no palm oil in it, which a lot of shop bought vegan foods contain.
Cream of Celeriac & Pear Soup. Serves 4. Vegan. G/F.
1/2 head of celeriac, peeled and roughly chopped.
1 small white onion, peeled & chopped.
1 peeled potato.
2 cloves of garlic, peeled.
Thumb size piece of ginger, peeled.
2 pears, peeled, core removed and chopped.
2 tea.sp. Bouillon .
1 litre of water.
1 can coconut milk.
Salt& white pepper.
1. In a little oil sweat off ( cook without colour) celeriac, onion, potato, garlic. & ginger for a few minutes.
2. Then add pears, bouillon, water & seasoning.
3. Bring to the boil & simmer for 25 mins.
4. Blitz and add a can of coconut milk. Check seasoning & finish with chopped chives.
Tomato & Basil Scones. Makes 4 triangular scones. Vegan.
200 grms of flour.
Pinch of salt & pinch of sugar.
2 teaspoon baking powder.
80 grms vegan butter.
4 chopped sun dried tomatoes.
4 dessert spoons oil from the tomatoes.
4 dessert spoons passata.
2 dessert spoon almond milk.
2 teaspoon cider vinegar.
Nigella seeds or seeds of your choice.
1. Pop flour, salt, sugar & baking powder into a bowl.
2. Rub in the butter with your finger tips.
3. Add all the rest of the ingredients & gently bring everything together in the bowl.
4. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface & shape into 2 squares.
5. Cut into 4 triangles, brush wit a little water & press in seeds of your choice.
6. Pop onto parchment lined baking sheet & pop into a preheated oven(190 cen) for 20 minutes.